Monday, March 18, 2013

Plain Ikea Kitchen Cart Turned Tres Chic


This used kitchen cart was another great second-hand find! For just $25 I couldn’t resist scooping it up for my next project! The funny thing is, I almost purchased this brand-new at Ikea a few months ago, but wasn't thrilled about the plain birch look...but that's about to change!

My original plan was to stain the shelves and the top of the piece. But as I've come to learn, no matter how hard you plan a project, things don't always work out as you might expect. As I went to stain the shelves, I quickly discovered that they had a clear acrylic lacquer finish...bummer. I was not about to take the extra step of stripping it off, so I had to improvise. Luckily, the butcher block top was just treated with oil, so I was able to sand it down enough to stain it. In this case, I just used my Ryobi Finish Sander which you can get at Home Depot for $29. A more powerful orbital sander would be a better investment for removing old material, but this is not a bad alternative if you're operating on a budget. For the stain I used MinWax "Provincial" to get a nice rustic look. I also stained a few craft crates to hide the clutter and to give me the light/dark contrast I had originally wanted.



Once again I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in “Old White.” I'm addicted to this stuff! I did some light distressing with 100 grit sandpaper and finished it with a coat of Annie Sloan’s Clear Wax. The wax softens the paint and gives it a nice velvety look. It also seals and protects the wood. On a side note - you can either distress before or after waxing - it’s really a matter of preference.


I absolutely love the look of French typography and knew I wanted to incorporate it. I downloaded this image from The Graphics Fairy and transferred it onto the wood using a Sharpie. This process requires it's own post which I will share with you soon! You can also find various tutorials on the Graphics Fairy website.

Despite some minor setbacks, I still managed to pull off the look I was going for!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment