Saturday, March 9, 2013

Why White Elephant?


The idiom “White Elephant” is defined as “an object no longer of value to its owner but of value to others.” I thought this name was especially fitting considering that this blog is all about re-purposing furniture and finding creative ways to add accents to your home - all without breaking the bank of course!

It began as an obsession with DIY posts on Pinterest. I guess you could say I was a serial pinner, but was too lazy to ever try anything myself. It's funny because now that I have no free time whatsoever - thanks to this guy - I now decide it's a good time to get started. (I guess you can call him my muse).


My husband and I moved into our new home over six months ago and we still have empty rooms. We knew it would take some time. We also knew we wanted a puppy. Enter Finley. Surprise, Merry Christmas!

With a severe lack of sleep and mounting piles of vet bills, I slowly came to terms with the fact that home decorating would have to be put on hold for a while...whelp. Lo and behold, two months into puppy rearing I was in desperate need of a creative outlet. With a budget tighter than ever, I began scouring Craigslist, local flea markets and antique stores looking for inexpensive items that I could add my own personal touch to. That way, if Finn destroyed anything (which is inevitable at this point) I would still be able to sleep at night. Wow, did I really just say that? I must be delusional. Sleep is just not happening...period!

Anyhow, I have to say that I've really surprised myself. It’s truly amazing what you can create with a little bit of creativity, paint, stain and god only knows what else I have yet to discover. Ultimately, my goal in writing this blog is to inspire you with easy DIY projects for your home that will earn you compliments, save you boatloads of money and allow you to lavish in self-fulfillment. It really does feel good to create something out of nothing! There's just one requirement...don't get lazy! Time to go feed my muse.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment